Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Guns and Bees


Joy's uncle Tim invited us out to his lease to shoot some jugs of water on Memorial day. It was awesome! I never really got to shoot to many guns as a kid, which is probably a good thing. It's funny because I've always been an really good shot. Whenever I have gotten the chance to shoot I usually start out by proving my incompetence through leaving the safety on or dropping the clip in the dirt (I did both this time) and then I'll not miss the whole time I'm out there. I guess all those years of Duck Hunt paid off. (I still hate that dog!)

Hayden got to shoot a .22 for awhile. He was really good at hitting this tree behind the targets. If we were smart, we would have put a bottle in the tree... he would have knocked it right out! I love getting him out to do redneck stuff. I was really hoping to get him to shoot the 20 gauge, but after watching us shoot the 12 gauge... he was a little gun shy. I honestly think that is the first time I've used that saying literally.


Now, I didn't do all of my shooting with the rifle resting on a feed bag, so give me some credit. Joy decided that this picture of my ugly butt needed some prettying up, so she added her beautiful thumb to it!

Joy even got into it and took out this menacing gallon jug at about 25 yards. Once she figured out how to get the rifle in and rest her cheek against the stock, she was an regular Annie Oakley, well a Vietnamese Annie Oakley (which I think is way cooler).

We were shooting somewhat near a beehive and I decided that it was a good idea to go and piss them off... because I'm retarded. I had one come over and buzz by me and I swatted it away. I guess it released it's "kick this guys ass" pheromone because I was almost instantly swarmed. I quickly remembered my extensive Air Force training and ran around screaming like a little girl. I took off out of the camp and away from everyone as fast as I could. I got stung 11 times in about 1 minute. It was pretty intense. Oddly enough, the bees didn't bother anyone else. I guess the go after the overweight and feeble first. Luckily Tim's daughter, Becky, had a bunch of Benadryl on hand... which made the ride home so enjoyable.

All in all it was an awesome trip. When we got home it took all of our effort to stay awake long enough to wash off the bug spray before we all passed out! Hayden had a ton of stories to tell at school the next day and I had a wicked cool farmers tan and some big bee stings to show off. Good times!

No comments: